Tuesday, December 31, 2013

From Grace Ssekakubo

Death has robbed us of a great mentor, Prof. Gary Marsden… Instant death! Suspected heart failure!

Gary was my PhD supervisor, he has not lived to see me graduate possibly a few months from now!

At the age of just 44, Gary was at the climax of his carrier in academics and research, the time when the world needed him most. With a great personality, an oversized heart and a passion for social justice matched by a serious geek of flair, Gary was truly amazing! I last met and spoke to Gary on 24/10/2013 a day after I submitted my PhD thesis… We spoke for about an hour in his office… and as I opened the door to leave his office, he called my name and said... “Grace, you have really worked so hard, I am proud of you”… Those were the last words I heard from Gary…and since then he has written to me twice. RIP Gary, till we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment