Sunday, December 29, 2013

From Ronke (Aderonke Oluwabusayomi Sakpere)

My first interaction with Gary Marsden was in 2011 when I applied for a PhD in ICT4D through HPI-UCT. Though I wasn't considered that year, Gary's reply was so polite and didn't make me feel like I wasn't chosen because I was not good enough or my proposal didn't make sense. 

I was encouraged to apply again in 2012 and was finally chosen. Sequel to this, I had to apply for study visa in my home country but unfortunately the embassy wouldn't clear me because they feel my financial status was insufficient. I emailed Gary and got an automatic reply that he was on holiday and might not be accessible to internet except for roaming wifi. I was amazed when Gary emailed me back and was in touch with me till we were able to resolve this. Yoh, I was swept off my feet by Gary's kind gesture and checking on me to ensure that I got a study permit. I remembered him calling the embassy to this effect. Sincerely, this kind gesture made me look forward eagerly to coming to UCT.

Though I am not under Gary's supervision in the lab, I have greatly admired him and the way he interacts with his student. He is so humble and relates freely. 


I pray for Gill and the children that God's grace will be sufficient for them in this trying period.

No comments:

Post a Comment