Thursday, January 9, 2014

From Michael Talbot

I remember wanting to do an MSc but not really knowing what direction to do it in. Gary's work seemed interesting after our ICT4D lectures in honours so I asked to chat to him. He took me out to Nandos below campus and we chatted. I really wanted to make a difference in the world but felt that just being another computer techie wasn't going to change much. He helped me understand properly that everyone's strength is different and few people can do the type of work that we do. That conversation at our little Nandos table changed the way I see my contribution to the world. His caring attitude really grabbed me and I'm privileged to have had him as my masters supervisor.

Apart from the fun lab meetings, his amazing stories from ventures passed, and the tales he brought back after going overseas each time, the thing I hold most dear was the way he invited us into his home for lab braais. It was so great to be welcomed like that, to play silly games in the pool with Jake and Holly and to enjoy Gil's warm hospitality. Those fond memories will stick with me. 

Gary's love for his family was obvious and the stories he told were filled with wonderful ideas that I hope to do with my family and children one day.

It truly seems too soon to have lost a man like Gary. What a loss it is to us who remain, but also a challenge to us to be warm, inviting, loving and excellent, like Gary was.

Thanks for sharing your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment