Wednesday, January 1, 2014

From Sinini Ncube

I am deeply saddened that i only met Gary 10 months ago. I first heard of Gary during a student retreat in Switzerland in 2010 when someone advised me to pursue a PhD with him. I then formally met him in person in February this year and was so amazed at his free spirit, openness, friendliness yet being my superior. I can surely say in you was a great mentor. I admired your work and personality as my supervisor. I have gained confidence through your words and approach to life. I remember when i began my PhD and i was busy reading and searching for a topic, so much pressure and stress piling up, i got so much encouragement it was like he was literally holding my hand directing me in many ways. I also remember always after a presentation, he would come up to me or email to speak a word of encouragement that forward we go and also appraise me on growing. I have been postponing writing this email because it feels like i am accepting that he is really gone. You left too early Gary but I know that the values and skills you left in us will be carried on, your academic brilliance will continue as we apply all that you have taught us. Thank you for being a father, a guide and a superb mentor who has nurtured many.

One of the things that amazed me was how much Gary seemed to have time for everyone and everything. When i read what all of you have written about him, its like he had 48hrs a day. On Mondays i remember he would come to the lab and ask us how the weekend was and what we had been up to, so humble he sometimes even made us coffee as we chatted. It was never about work only but he somehow taught us there was more that contributed to good work. I remember one time Gary was rushing home so he could get there before the kids were asleep, after one of our monthly meetings in Cape Town. Thats how much he valued family moments. He even advised me to enjoy getting married for it was really a great thing to do and I should make the most out of it. The fact that he made us meet his family says clearly how much proud of them he was. I already miss you, I cannot believe you gone.

The last thing he said to me, after spoiling us with doughnuts in Nov just before I left, was "Make sure you send us a pic when you in your white dress, cheers Nini" and off he left the lab. Little did I know.....

Gill, Holly and Jake may God truly comfort you and may he shine his face upon you. You are such wonderful people welcoming us into your home, I am glad I had the chance to meet you all. May the good Lord be with you in this trying time. (The Lord is close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in the spirit).

RIP Gary.


No comments:

Post a Comment