Sunday, December 29, 2013

From Alex Taylor


I remember Gary as he marched around the hallways of our old building in Cambridge, invariably with a big cheery smile on his face. So many of us have, I know, felt his kindness, good cheer and humour, and been welcoming recipients of his candid wisdom. Meeting him, my immediate impressions were of someone who had decided to make a difference - who realised it wasn't enough to write, build things and go home, but who saw that might be made better by being close and working with care. And all this with humour, humility and lyricism. 

Visiting us regularly in Cambridge and working closely with Richard Harper, Gary for me came to be a colleague who exemplified how one might stick with the trouble and make a material difference. We never had the chance to become close friends, but always he pushed me to question the purpose and value of the work we do. We spoke, occasionally heatedly, about the importance of research and I remember clearly the moment he convinced me that we simply needed to get ‘stuck in’, 'get out hands dirty'.

I have and will continue to judge what I do against Gary's work and try as best I can to be equal his convictions. Amongst so many kind and clever people, Gary remains a warmhearted scholar and alongside that an inspiration. Gary, thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment