Monday, December 30, 2013

From Anicia Peters


I met Gary at CHI2010 for the first time and then met him at all subsequent CHIs and during INTERACT2013.  I remember the first time I met him, he told me that more people like me are needed on the African HCI scene and always keenly enquired when I would finish my PhD to return home to Namibia. Besides those few interactions and at CHI lunches, I got to know Gary, the person, mentor and sponsor through Shikoh's vivid accounts of him. She mentioned his name whenever she wanted to give an example of how mentors should be and how he opened doors for her. She told me how he would vouch his good name for her and she told me about his big heart. I was so looking forward to working with him when I will return later in 2014. The news of his sudden passing was truly a shock to me and I am still trying to process the news as I certainly would miss seeing him at the next CHI. I pray for comfort and strength for his family, friends, students and the entire HCI and ICTD community for he will be certainly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment