Saturday, December 28, 2013

Rest in Peace

It was a night of weeping at our house.  Gary Marsden, amazing person and friend, as well as gifted professor, teacher, researcher, supporter, instigator, and all-around incredible person, died yesterday of a suspected heart attack.  

When I got the news, I couldn't even take it in.  How could Gary NOT be in the world?  What kind of world will it be without him?  

I am totally devastated.  

I set up this blog to help be a central place for us to post our memories of Gary, and to plan for how we as a community can come together in support of Gil, Holly, and Jake, and in honoring Gary's memory.  


6 comments:

  1. I could not take it in either. Gary made a huge contribution to designing products for people in the developing world. He also made this kind of HCI research respectable in the developed world. Gary will continue to inspire us to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I join other colleagues in expressing my condolences to Garry's family for the tragic loss. We at HCI4D will miss him and his immense contribution.

    Dan Orwa, Nairobi Kenya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was shocked to find out about Gary's sad and sudden passing. A great researcher and for me a great collaborator for INTERACT 2013 in Cape Town, but above all a remarkable person and friendly host when I visited. A great loss to the HCI community and to all those benefiting from interaction design for international development, but above all for his family and close friends. My thoughts go to you.

    Jan Gulliksen, Sweden (chairman of IFIP TC 13 on Human Computer Interaction)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Instead of posting here, please send your thoughts to me directly (firstname DOT last name AT dray.com) and I will post them in a separate blog post for each of you. That way, none will be lost. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have reposted all of the existing comments as blog posts - feel free to email me more if you would like to add to them.

      Delete