Tuesday, December 31, 2013

From Ming Ki Chong

I first met Gary when I was an undergraduate student in UCT. I still remember the lectures he taught. He was very cheerful, friendly and energetic. It was always fun and enjoyable to attend his lectures. It was "edutainment" (a term I learnt from Gary).

Beside attending his lectures, Gary supervised me during my master studies. He was my mentor, my hero and my friend. I worked with him for over 2 years. It was my great privilege to be able to learn from him. Before I worked with Gary, I knew almost nothing about research. Thanks to his patience, tireless effort and encouragement, I began to understand the meaning of it. He taught me that research is not only about creating new knowledge, but also using our knowledge to help people in need.

At difficult times when I felt clueless, confused and lost, Gary always pointed me to the right direction. He always believed in his students and encouraged us not to give up. He taught us to reach beyond ourselves and be proud of our achievement. There are so many great memories that I will forever cherish.

It saddens me to learn that Gary is no longer with us, but I know that wherever he is now, he is in a good place. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment