Sunday, December 29, 2013

From Maletsabisa Molapo

At the ICT4D Lab at UCT, Professor Gary Marsden was more than just an academic supervisor (even though he taught us so much, and gave us exceptional guidance). He was our father, mentor, and inspiration. Gary was a special man. In all my life, I have never seen such brilliance, creativity, leadership, humility, love,  patience and selflessness wrapped in one man. The University of Cape Town has lost a legend, the department of Computer Science and the ICT4D Research Centre have lost a visionary. 

When I first joined UCT in 2011, I had no idea what to expect. But God gave me Gary. The man built me up from level 0. He believed in me and took time to teach me and raise me in the field. I have an MSc because of Gary. I will have a PhD because of Gary's investment in my personal and academic life. 

In the last email I sent to him after the ICTD conference, I said, "Thank you very much Gary, I'm deeply grateful for the many opportunities for growth and learning that you continually make available to us as your students. ICTD'13 was one such opportunity, and I look forward to the next stages in research and learning.  Thank you for all the support," If I knew that was the last time I would ever say thank you to Gary, I would have written pages and pages to express my gratitude. Gary Marsden changed my life, and the lives of many others - in the lab, and beyond..


I pray that God watches over Gill, Jake, and Holly - his family that he so lovingly got us connected to. We will miss the picnics with Gill and the kids, but we will not forget them. We will not forget to check on them and to watch Gary's boy and girl grow. And as his students, I pray that we will continue with what he taught us, and that through us, his legacy will live on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment