Sunday, December 29, 2013

From Graeme Smith

Over the last 2 days, here are some of the random things about Gary that have sprung to mind:
  • When I submitted my final thesis, I remember thanking Gary and saying that I probably valued the "non-thesis" skills I'd learned from Gary more than the "thesis" ones. This was by no means a disparagement on his academics, but more a comment on how interested and impactful he was in his students' lives.
  • I never once saw a student sleeping in his lectures (do not underestimate what an achievement this is at UCT)
  • I remember Gary talking to another MSc student, who was dropping out after 9 months, as he needed to get a job. The student told Gary that he  felt bad for letting him down by not finishing and Gary replied by saying that, if after 9 months the student had grown as a human being, then it was not time wasted and that he (Gary) felt that that was his primary responsibility as a supervisor. 
  • I remember shopping for lab kitchen equipment and Gary bribing us by saying that if we published 4 papers in a year he'd buy us an espresso machine. We accomplished this (I think Shikoh wrote all 4) and Gary duly complied. I'm not sure who enjoyed the coffee more, us or him.
  • I remember his predictive-text story, which ended with the picture of the yacht (owned by the guy who actually got the credit). I then remember him saying that he didn't regret it because it led him to where he is today.

He will forever be a laughing, story-telling Irishman in my memory, and I feel truly privileged to have known him.


Graeme

No comments:

Post a Comment