Saturday, December 28, 2013

I want to DO something!

Gary's death is devastating and like many of you, I want to DO something.  I haven't yet talked with Gil who I'm sure is being inundated right now, but I've been noodling on some ideas for how to honor his memory in the profession.  Whatever we do would need to be available for free online of course.  

Do any of these ring true for you?  
-- A Gedenkschrift (I believe that's the posthumous version of a Festschrift?)  
-- A special issue of ITID or other journal
-- A memorial scholarship in his name to UCT
-- A memorial Chair at UCT 
-- Renaming the SIGCHI "Social Impact Award" award the Gary Marsden Social Impact award.
-- Something in Khayelitsha and other communities where he and his students worked to help the community bring about upliftment

I am certain you guys have millions of ideas either building on these or at a very different level or direction.

I also want to think about ways we can support Gil, Holly and Jake.

3 comments:

  1. I think something in interactions magazine would be both easy and appropriate given his long-term involvement there. I like renaming the social impact award too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, most of these require agreement of SIGCHI, editors, UCT, or others.
    What can we do for Gil, Holly and Jake?

    ReplyDelete